Late-13th to Early-14th Century Great Helm
These Patterns are free to all with the understanding that credit should be given to the owners.
Go to the Author's Original Site
Great Helm Back Plate P1
Great Helm Back Plate P2
Great Helm Face Plate P1
Great Helm Face Plate P2
Great Helm P1
Great Helm P2
I would build this helmet in the following order:
- Cut out the plates.
- Finish the plate edges and corners.
- Shape the front and back plates for the top and rivet
- Trace the opening in the top of the helm from the inside
and add an inch all around. That is the patten for the cap plate on the
top of helm.
- Cut the cap plate and finish the edges.
- Dish the cap plate and fit it to the opening in the
top of the helm (on the inside). Rivet the cap plate into place.
- Shape the back plate to fit the helmet top and rivet
- Punch/Drill the breath holes on the face plate.
- Fit the face plate to the helm and rivet it on.
- Polish the helmet and the brass plates for the cross. (I use 3M
surface conditioning disks)
- Rivet the arms of the brass cross over the eye slots.
- Rivet on the main part of the brass cross. Be sure to use a steel
reinforcement strip under the part of the cross that goes over the eye
slot (between the eyes).
- Repolish around the cross if needed.