Bascinet (Based on Mid 14th Century Style)
Grill added to meet SCA armour standards
These Patterns are free to all with the understanding that credit should be given to the owners.
Go to the Author's Original Site
Medium Long Bottom P1
Medium Long Bottom P2
Medium Long Fixed Bar Visor Bottom
Medium Long Fixed Bar Visor Top
Medium Long Pivot Visor Bottom
Medium Long Pivot Bar Top
Medium Regular Bottom P1
Medium Regular Bottom P2
Medium Regular Pivot Bar Visor Bottom
Medium Regular Pivot Bar Visor Top
Medium Top P1
Medium Top P2
Small Regular Bottom P1
Small Regular Bottom P2
Small Regular Close Fitted Bottom P1
Small Regular Close Fitted Bottom P2
Small Top P1
Small Top P2
I would build this helmet in the following order:
- Cut out the plates.
- Punch holes in the side/bottom plate for the camail
- Finish the plate edges and corners.
- Dish and shape the top halves.
- Weld the top halves together.
- Grind the weld flush on the outside and cleanup weld
on the inside if needed.
- Shape the side/bottom plate to fit the helmet top.
- Weld the side/bottom plate on to the helmet top.
- Grind weld flush on the outside and cleanup weld on
the inside if needed.
- Polish the helmet. (I use 3M surface conditioning disks)
- Build bar grill visor and attach it to the helmet.
- Add leather mounting strip for camail.
- Add the camail (Your on your own with the camail).